Wednesday, March 14, 2007

10 Things I Hate About U...of A

1. The total lack of realistically priced parking. The university is the size of a small city, and with all the mandatory ‘extras’ we pay in our tuition, there is absolutely no reason why the university can not accommodate students with substantial parking at economical, student-friendly prices.

2. The campus itself. As Albertans, we live in sub-zero temperatures 8+ months of the year. Several of these months fall within the school year. So will someone please explain to me why Arts students are stuffed into random classrooms all over the bloody campus, and given a mere 10 minuets to dodge bleary-eyed colleagues, engineering students with no social grace, blizzards, hung-over HUB/Lister occupants, retarded first-years AND the never ending campus construction as we run across campus to get to a second class? A campus that is roughly a quarter of the size of Manhattan with at least a third of the income should fucking well be able to come up with a heated, underground brother to the New York subway to be able to get to the imminently -to- be- condemned buildings that we Arts students are expected to learn in.

3. The employment of bullshit, off-the-boat profs who don’t speak a word of English, yet get offended when students are unable to communicate in clicks and whirrs.

4. The bullshit requirements for an Arts degree. Have I mastered the basic functions of the common calculator? Yes. Will I apply a semivariogram in my future career? Hell no. I can figure out tax, balance my chequebook, create a schedule, add tip, and even create a feasible budget. So why the fuck do I need to understand the basic principles of thermodynamics? How the hell does this have anything to do with an individual who is pursuing a career that stems from an Arts degree?

5. The curve. All grades are ultimately a result of university-demanded, prof-induced smoke and mirrors, anyway. Why bother creating a hostile environment with the inherent competition of the curve, while simultaneously asking ALL students for ‘University support and donations for the 2008 campaign”?? Go to hell. You already took enough of my money and made me hate my colleagues.

6. The jaded profs that get off with phrases like, ‘Yes, I realize that you just wrote your third 15 page paper with 37 peer-reviewed secondary sources in 24 hours. But your margins on page 12, paragraph 3 were 2.75 inches wide, and MLA demands a 3 inch margin. So you get a zero.’ What is it going to take to remind these profs that we are ultimately paying them?

7. The employment and academic acceptance of self-centered, academically perverted, undergrad-detesting, and inherently incompetent T.A’s. There is no applicable reason in this Universe why any T.A should be able to get away with email replies such as, ‘I am too busy writing my thesis to help you.’ And there is absolutely no excuse for a 6-week marking turnover. If you plan to devote your life to being a Prof in this fashion, perhaps you should take a look at yourself and realize what a shitty TA you are, take a pack of razor blades and expired pills, and make Darwin proud.

8. The fact that they can put man on the moon in the last century, but in this current one, cannot come up with a mall that supports any monetary exchange with the exception of primitive cash. Despite the fact that the university is willing to bend you over and anally rape you with tuition, they cannot provide outlets in HUB to accept Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, Debit or first born children. Though the latter option might be taken a little too seriously by the first years who occupy Lister. ‘No, your filthy unwashed bastard child cannot pay your tuition, but it will get you a 2 for 1 deal at Avenue Pizza. Be sure to bring your punch card next time.’

9. The pretentious assholes who occupy every good seat in the Powerplant, RATT, HUB, Humanities, and every other Arts-related hangout. No, you have not read the complete works of Foucault, you have no fucking idea what Derrida was ‘really’ saying, and you have no idea what Neoimperialism, Post structuralism, or Orientalism actually means. See my above advice for useless T.A’s and follow suit.

10. The hassle that is Beartracks, Bearscat, Web CT and every other bureaucracy-related fucked up, bullshit design that the University comes up with to ‘make our lives easier’ but in reality takes twice as long, is constantly unavailable, reports incorrect grades, responses, and provokes me to write these exact rants.


I invite all my U of A friends to join the fray. What 10 things do you hate about the University?

5 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Mike Perschon said...

I totally agree with you about the TA thing. I stayed up until 5:30 in the morning last week marking papers because I wanted to keep my deadline. If students have to keep deadlines, then we, the paid monkeys should keep ours as well. And I've only once said I couldn't respond because I was too busy and that was the night before their mid-term. I don't really think I have to be a last minute study buddy...

You've named several of my peeves, but in far more colorful descriptive terms. This is one of my fave Keltie posts ever!

I will add that I hate the low standard the University apparently has for anyone getting into the University except me. I had to jump through nine trillion hoops to finally gain admission to the Master's program, taking a total of 16 extra classes at 3 credits per (that's 4 extra semesters, give or take) on top the Bachelor degree I already had from a useless institution I won't name here in case they hire me someday. However, you can have the grammatical abilities of a lobotomized ape and still get into the University if you have no prior post-secondary education...at least, I'm assuming this is the case from the papers I've had to mark as a TA.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger B said...

Yeah, you covered a lot of what I don't like. T.A.s that don't speak English for shit were a lot of help when I was still in the Faculty of Sciences back in my 2nd first year. I withdrew from all those courses before them numbskulls could fail me.

I tried to come up with a list of things I didn't like, and then I tried to come up with a list of things I did like. The second list was shorter.

- I like smart profs who (pretend to) like me, or at least tolerate my shenanigans.
- I like the ocean of very pretty girls.
- I like the books in Rutherford library that I'll never have time to read.
- I like the old buildings.
- I like that it's almost over.

I dislike the rest.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Варвара said...

I hate that I'm not there. :(

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Katerina said...

GREAT RANT!!! I have many examples of being crapped on by the U, but here's the most recent--

I got a call from one of those "Can you make a donation?" morons from the U a few weeks ago. I was polite in the beginning until he used the old salesman tactic of trying to wear me down by countinuously spouting reason upon reason without let me get a word in (I'm pretty sure he was reading from a telemarketer's manual).

Does my explanation that I am currently taking graduate courses and already blowing my life savings to do so have any relevance? No, apparently, not.

Usually it takes A LOT for me to lose my temper, and I like to think I am an extraordinarily patient person, but his purposeful incomprehension pushed me over the edge. Yes, I could of hung up the phone, but I had the satisfaction of saying the following to him which has remained burned into my brain:

"Listen very carefully! Why the FUCK would I want to donate money to the university when I've spent almost 7 years already doing so for some absolute bullshit classes that
had no relevence to my degree but I was required to take? Can you answer that?! NO, you are not getting any money from me! GOODBYE!"

I have never sworn on the phone like that to complete stranger, and I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I did so. But HOLY MOTHER OF GOD did that feel GOOD!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Keltie said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

I 110% would have done the exact same thing, probably sooner. You have significantly more patience than I do.

In the last year, I've lost my shit to salesmen, telemarketers, Rogers, and Kids Kottage. Yes, you did read that right. I lost it to a charity for children. (Hey, why should I send little Timmy to hockey camp when the same donation will make little Jerry in the hospital get through his chemotherapy? I'm not a bad person, but c'mon. I have my fucking priorities straight.)

Anyway, I commend you. KUDOS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home